Sunday, April 26, 2009

Tough Sunday

So today was tough. Zach had to make the announcement to the whole church today that we are leaving. Just to be totally honest, this was one of the hardest things I've sat through in a church. Like I said in my last blog, ministry isn't easy. We were loved on by people who told us how much we meant to them in such a short amount of time. It made me think about our time here. I think that maybe the thing I (me not Zach) really brought to Sunday mornings was freedom in worship.

You see I grew up in a traditional Southern Baptist church. We sang the hymns with the organ and piano and sat and stood depending on what the worship leader asked us to do. Not until I was in college did I ever truly worship. What does that look like? Well I believe to truly worship one has to free themself up to the Holy Spirit. This can't be done by just showing up on Sunday mornings and singing music. You have to be with God throughout the week to really worship.

Now freedom in worship comes when you have been with God throughout the week and you let yourself be taken in with the music. You follow where the Spirit leads you. Whether that means that you raise your hands, clap, dance, stand...whatever...you just go with it!!!!! There are times when you just know that God wants you to stand and raise your hands as high as you can and sing with all your might, what do you do? Do you sit in your seat? Do you clasp your hands together because you don't want to raise them? What do you do?

What do i do? I try (but don't always suceed) to just go with the Spirit. I dance and raise my hands...I sing without abandon!!!!!!

Today, I was thanked for this. i was thanked for showing some of the people in my church that it is okay to do this no matter who is watching. Because when you boil it all down...who are worshiping for? The people in your church or God Almighty!!! I chose God Almighty!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment